Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All images which are not my own are cited with the source and are used here for educational purposes only. If you would like your images removed please contact me directly and I will remove them immediately. Thank you.
Find me more frequently for the time being at Folk-Art-Life.

6.01.2010

Studio Tour: Hue Yang

Good afternoon, folks... Today I have a lovely studio visit from a local ceramic artist and fellow San Francisco State alumna, Hue Yang. Hue grew up far from here in Taiwan, but has been living in California since she arrived here in 1996 to pursue an education in the arts. I think this unique bi-cultural perspective lends an interesting flavor to her work which I just adore and hope you will as well. 

So without further ado, let's visit the artist's studio!


Location: Oakland, CA (Jingletown)

Studio size: around 100 square feet

Years worked in: It’s my third year in this studio!

Number of studio-mates: one- Jason Dunn (my husband)


Have you had studios before this one?
Yes, I had a studio in Taiwan for almost a year.

How close is this space to your home?
It’s right in my home, I live in the live/work loft. Getting a studio with a living space is one of the main reasons that we live here.


What is your favorite aspect of this space?
It’s right in my home!! It’s really nice that I can just go upstairs and make myself a lunch.

Any challenges you’ve come up against?
Space- it’s never enough. One thing about a small space is that you really need to be really neat, so you can find everything, but unfortunately I am not a neat person. Also it’s a lot of work to keep the clay dust out of the living area.

 
How much time do you spend here?
It depends. Sometimes if I am not motivated I will not go in to the studio for two weeks. But sometimes I spend 40 hours a week in the studio.

What would a fantasy day in the studio look like to you?
It would a very productive day, also I would learn something new while working.

What’s a real day like?
Semi-productive, and constantly trying to figure out what I should make.

If you could have one wish granted for your studio, what would it be?
A BIGGER studio!!


Do you make a point of decorating your studio in anyway?
No. I was going to but a small space can’t have too many decorations. All I have is some posters or show cards that have pieces that I like.

Do you have a favorite snack while you’re working here?
I tried not to eat in my studio, just drinks. So I like to drink some fruity bubbly drink.

What kind of music do you listen to while you work?
I usually like to turn on my TV while I am working, I like to use it as a background noise. When I want to put music on, I will play some music in Chinese.

Do you participate in any open studios events?
Yes, twice a year. Jason and I do the East bay open studio in June, and holiday art walk in the winter time.


What’s one piece of advice you’d give to someone creating her or his first studio space?
Plan out your space before you move in all your equipment. It’s painful to rearrange stuff around once everything is set.

Do you have a blog or website we can follow you at?



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails