Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All images which are not my own are cited with the source and are used here for educational purposes only. If you would like your images removed please contact me directly and I will remove them immediately. Thank you.
Find me more frequently for the time being at Folk-Art-Life.

4.27.2010

Workshop Review: Molly Hatch



The Molly Hatch workshop at Fourth and Clay was wonderful this weekend. I learned a few tricks that I think will help me in transferring my own designs and patterns in the future. I realized a lot of the 'construction' tricks that Molly uses are tricks I keep up my sleeves as well and this made me feel grateful for the wonderful teachers that I've had so far... it was a nice moment of quiet affirmation about my own techniques.

Molly was so lovely, down to earth, and sharing... It was such a treat to pick her brain about her work and hear about the concepts behind her creativity. All the inspiration she draws from textile patterns hit so close to the heart and made me feel a little more motivated to figure out a way that I can marry my own passions in art as Molly has done with drawing and clay.
  

the top-secret wine cork tool 


I won't spoil the workshop for any of you... in case you ever get the chance to take it yourself, which I would highly encourage. She shared so many lovely (and practical) secrets including glaze, engobe, and clay recipes. One small secret I will share is the wine cork plus needles scoring tool trick.  I've known of this little DIY tool for a while, but never made it. After watching Molly use it, it was the first thing I did when I got home. With this little bugger all you gotta do is dip it in the water and score. The needles hold more water than a toothed rib or fork and don't gunk up like the commercial scoring tools. It's a one step scoring process that creates the slip as you scratch the clay-- awesome.


Molly building an 'envelope-giftbox-coffin' vase... 
we couldn't figure out the proper term.


Molly tracing her designs through her template onto the tile...


 Molly scratches the transferred depressions a little deeper...


 The mishima pattern after being filled with 'ink' or very thin slip...


Molly 'paints' her designs (normally after bisque) with special 
engobes that mimic some qualities of oil paint...



Molly was also having a show at a local shop, Lola, that we took a detour to see... It was lovely to see her work in person and be able to fondle the pieces a bit. The mirrors (not pictured) were absolutely lovely and the frames she creates for her pottery transform quaint little tea cups into striking wall sculptures. If you ever get the chance, you must see her work in person...


 a mounted teacup
 
a pitcher perfect for iced tea

a teapot

 even the underside of the teapot's lid has a lovely detail


For more about Molly's workshop check out Linda's post. Her photos are fantastic and she shares a few more images of Molly's work as well.

Lastly, I wanted to say, the ladies at Fourth and Clay-- Josie, Rae, and Christa-- are so incredibly lovely. I'm so glad they opened their beautiful studio and welcomed us all in to partake in such a great class. They are having a Sale next weekend that I am looking very forward to. I just might end up with several mugs for the month of May...

4 comments:

Jerry said...

Loving that cork/needle tip!!! That is a new one to me. I am assuming that it is just needles poked into the cork and that the eyes hold the water? Genius!

Linda Fahey said...

Love the post JLu - and I really like the pics - what a great time!

Ron said...

Thanks for sharing. I really love Molly's work. Over now to Linda's post for more!

Linda Starr said...

I hope I get a chance to take her workshop one of these days, thanks for the cork tip.

Related Posts with Thumbnails