Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All images which are not my own are cited with the source and are used here for educational purposes only. If you would like your images removed please contact me directly and I will remove them immediately. Thank you.
Find me more frequently for the time being at Folk-Art-Life.

4.30.2010

Kuraoka Says to Know: Goro Suzuki




There isn't much I can say about Goro Suzuki except that he is probably the most famous Japanese potter, which is odd becuase you can't really find information about him very easily.  He is known for his contemporary work in the traditional Japanese style of Oribe which is characterized by the flowing green glazes and strong geometric illustrations.  I really like some of his work, like these stacked boxes, as well as some of his shino tea bowls, and while I appreciate his style conceptually, overall I'm just not the biggest fan.

Has anyone seen his work in person? Or know more about him? Please share. :)

(images via Lacoste Gallery)

5 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

You should check in with Judith Duff about Goro. She has an amazing video that she shot of him throwing parts to a chair he made.She played it for us at a recent workshop in NC. He is one crazy thrower that's for sure!

Hue said...

I think David's office have a chair that he made, also you should check with Mitzu because I think Goro Suzuki inspired him to make pipe. (Suzuki's work really rocks!)

Ron said...

I have seen a video of Goro Suzuki making pots. It is very inspiring and unlike anything I have ever seen. I like his work a lot.

Unknown said...

Wow... all your comments are making Suzuki even more of a mystery to me. There is very little information I can find on him. I'll have to sit down with David next semester and have him tell me about him.

Chantel said...

I'm sitting at a lecture/demo by Ron Meyers at UNL now. He mentioned Goro's name. Thank you for the link to more of his pictures, but what I would really like to know is kind of glazes/how to apply glazes like Goro. Ron Meyers also does 'casual throwing' and 'eludes to the functional' take a look if you havent!
-Chantel Rosno

Related Posts with Thumbnails