Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All images which are not my own are cited with the source and are used here for educational purposes only. If you would like your images removed please contact me directly and I will remove them immediately. Thank you.
Find me more frequently for the time being at Folk-Art-Life.

9.15.2009

Kuraoka Says to Know: Betty Woodman










I looooooooooooooooove Betty Woodman. And shame on me... I didn't even know who she was until a few days ago. I don't know how I got through this many years studying ceramics without her name being mentioned or her work being shown.

I adore her colors, her patterning, the shapes and construction of her vessels (or sculptures, I'm not sure which they are, and I love that too). I love her Matisse-esque illustrations. I'm greatly intrigued by the combination of her painted canvas and ceramic vessel and the overall presentation of her artwork.

She most definitely is one of the most prolific artists of the 20th/21st century.

And ps, doesn't she look like the greatest lady? Oh, also... you can listen to a rare interview with the artist about being a working artist, here.

(images via Max Protetch Gallery; portrait via Frank Lloyd Gallery; video via VodPod)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails