Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All images which are not my own are cited with the source and are used here for educational purposes only. If you would like your images removed please contact me directly and I will remove them immediately. Thank you.
Find me more frequently for the time being at Folk-Art-Life.

10.04.2009

Christa Assad







Christa Assad is the rockstar of the fine pottery world. Her kick ass personality and her phenomenal craftsmanship make the artist hard to beat. Assad is just one of several highly successful ceramic artists who make up Clay Mode, a group of friends, all women artists, working in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Assad's work is most notable for the construction techniques the artist uses. These pots are combination wheel thrown and handbuilt. Many of the 'parts' are actually thrown on the wheel and the cut, manipulated, and reconstructed to form beautiful vessels that pay a unique homage to industrial nostalgia. As luck has it, I missed a workshop with Assad this past week at a local junior college. A classmate supposedly made it, so perhaps I can glean some Assad tips from him when I return.

I did, however, find a great interview with the artist in American Craft Magazine that you all should really read. I admire Assad for never losing her joie de vivre as it seems that many proffesional potters become so serious once the inevitable intensity of full time potting kicks in.

(images via the Art of Tea 2009, Exploding Head Gallery, Strictly Functional Pottery National, MudFire Gallery, and artist's own website)


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails