Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All images which are not my own are cited with the source and are used here for educational purposes only. If you would like your images removed please contact me directly and I will remove them immediately. Thank you.
Find me more frequently for the time being at Folk-Art-Life.

9.21.2009

Kuraoka Says to Know: Rudy Autio






Rudy Autio was born in Butte, Montana, studied at MSU Bozeman where he befriended Peter Voulkos, helped found the Archie Bray Foundation in Helena Montana, and started the ceramics department at University of Montana, Missoula. Needless to say, he was an incredibly influential ceramic artist of the 20th century. His work is marked by giant, sculptural vessels wrapped in Matisse-inspired illustrations of reaching figures and cantering horses. I like them well enough, but I am sure a face-to-face introduction would find me more greatly wooed by Autio's work.

(images via artist's website and AskArt; portrait via Distinctly Montana)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not loving it, honestly. The forms are fine and the applied decoration is fine but they seem to really fight one another. I feel as though the painting would be better suited to a canvas.

But what do I know?

Unknown said...

You know Alexis, I have to agree. I am not a fan. I was being nice with my words... but I realized, this is my blog. And I can say whatever the hell I damn please. Thanks for reminding me! :)

Anonymous said...

Funny how self-censorship creeps up on you, doesn't it? The politesse of being a blogger gets stifling. Rock on.

Related Posts with Thumbnails